Tips to master the TOEFL test: This blog post will highlight the most important ones . Reaching your dream score and subtotal scores will take a calculated, consistent effort. Mastering the TOEFL will not be easy. However, there are specific things that you can do that will increase your chances of reaching your dream score.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Get exposure to English for an extended period of time.
Six months to a year before taking the TOEFL iBT, you should increase your exposure to the English language. There is no one thing you should be doing. As long as you are reading, listening, speaking, and writing English to some extent, you are going in the right direction. I will provide a few tips of what you can do. That way you will have a general idea of what you should be doing.
- Spend time reading newspapers, magazines, and books for 30-45 minutes a day. Take notes and use your notes to orally summarize the texts in 60 second segments. Also, write 150-250 word summaries of the passages.
- Use web sites like NPR and Randall’s Cyber Listening Lab to practice your listening comprehension. Take notes on what you hear and give 60-second oral summaries of the listening passages. Similarly, use your notes to write 150-250 word summaries of the passages.
- Join a Toast Masters speaking group in your city if it is available. Attend the weekly meetings.
- Volunteer somewhere that requires you to use your English. Or, attend a church or other social gathering that requires you to use English several times a week.
- Watch three full-length 2-3 hour movies weekly. Pay close attention to how the characters talk.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Understand the strengths and weaknesses of your learning style
Everyone has a learning style that suits them best. You should discover what your learning style is and what some of the strengths and weaknesses of that learning style are. Learn more.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Understand how your target overall score and subtotal scores rank against other test-takers.
The higher your target score is, the more difficult it will be to achieve that score. In the same manner, you may be required to score exceptionally high on the reading, listening, speaking, or writing subtotals. Generally speaking, if you need to score higher than 100, which ranks you in the top 10% of all test-takers, you will really have to work hard to get that mark. Likewise, getting a score of 26 on the speaking section also ranks you in the top 10%, which will also be a challenge. Learn more about how you will rank based on your target score and subtotal scores. Read more.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Create the best possible learning environment
To master the TOEFL, you need to find out when you are most mentally alert when you study. In addition, you should create an ideal study environment that will help you minimize distractions and maximize your learning. Read more.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Detail your strategies
It takes a special mindset to find the right tips to master the TOEFL test. Moreover, you need to learn patience, perseverance, and positivity. Furthermore, you need to create strategies based on an analysis of your TOEFL score report. Lastly, your study plan should be balanced among seven important areas. Learn more about how to create the best TOEFL strategies for the highest possible score.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Set realistic goals
Everyone wants to make a billion dollars. We all want to star in a summer blockbuster movie. Many students set goals of scoring 120/120 on the TOEFL iBT. However, are all these goals realistic? Here is a short checklist of things that you should be asking yourself:
- What have I done so far in my TOEFL studies?
- What do I need to achieve at the end of my studies?
- Which of my goals are most or least important?
- What can I do to divide some of my long-term goals into smaller, more manageable ones?
- What time limits do I need to set on when I need to accomplish my goals?
- How do I measure whether or not I have accomplished my short-term or long-term goals?
To learn more about the importance of setting goals, CLICK HERE.
Tips to Master the TOEFL Test: Choose the right course plan.
At some point, you will need to choose a TOEFL course based on your current TOEFL score or practice test score. Choosing your course will also be based on what your target score and subtotals scores are. Click on the link and follow the instructions on that page so that you choose the right course based on your specific English level right now and the target score that you need.