The TOEFL Sentence Length Practice here will help you to improve your score on the speaking and writing sections of the TOEFL exam.
Why is TOEFL Sentence Length Practice Important?
The more you practice writing sentences in English, the better control you will have over your grammar as you complete your speaking and writing tasks during the TOEFL speaking and writing sections of the exam. In addition, learning to write longer sentences will help you to improve your academic speaking and writing.
How long should my sentences be?
In both academic speaking and writing, including the TOEFL speaking and writing tasks, you need to use mostly longer sentences (i.e., 20 to 30 words) with some strategically placed medium (i.e., 10 to 20 words) and short sentences (i.e., 0 to 10 words). ETS uses E-Rater, an artificial scoring engine for its writing tasks. Moreover, ETS uses SpeechRater, an artificial intelligence scoring engine for its speaking tasks. In both cases, these artificial intelligence scoring engines will look at the sentences and the vocabulary that you are using. Therefore, keep in mind the following:
- Your average sentence should be about 25-26 words.
- Keep your average word at about five characters or more.
Example sentence that is 25 words or more
The below sentence is 25 words and uses words which are on average 5.8 letters. Therefore, this type of sentence will score high during the speaking and writing sections of the TOEFL exam.
Many students overprepare for the TOEFL Speaking section by memorizing 1000’s of vocabularies so that they can optimally perform on the independent and integrated tasks.
Here are some additional lessons to help you with increasing your sentence length:
- TOEFL Sentence Variety Practice
- Five Ways to Lengthen your TOEFL Sentences
- Three Important Sentence Styles
- TOEFL Connecting Words
- Use Word to Grade your TOEFL Essays
TOEFL Sentence Length Practice
- Carefully read the writing prompt.
- Write a 25+ word sentence.
- Click on the answer to compare.
1. You have to write a research paper. Which of the following would you most like do so that you satisfactorily complete that project?
- Consult with a writing center tutor.
- Have a friend help you.
- Get assistance from the professor during her/his office hours.
2. Some people like to have one or two close friends that they can hang out with. Others prefer to have many friends that they can choose to associate with. Which do you prefer?
3. Twitter, according to some, should be open to free speech, including hate speech. On the other hand, others believe that Twitter should censor speech even if it is not life-threatening. Which opinion do you agree with and why?
4. Which of the following do you believe will have the most impact on reducing carbon emissions into the atmosphere?
- Banning all gasoline-powered cars
- Offering free public transportation to all
- Requiring consumers to use solar people for at least 75% of their electricity needs in their homes
Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.
5. The US and Europe should continue to finance the war in Ukraine. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
6. Would you prefer to do your homework at home or at the library?
7. Who would you most likely hire?
- An educated worker from a top-notch university
- A loyal, hard-working employee
- An employee who gets along well wi
8. People should be forced to get vaccines so that they can slow the spread of deadly viruses like the Corona Virus. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
9. Would you rather take a vacation with your friends or with your family members?
10. Do you agree or disagree with the statement: “Students learn more by completing essay exams rather than by answering multiple-choice and True/False questions.”
Michael Buckhoff, email@example.com
TOEFL Speaking and Writing Feedback Service
2 thoughts on “TOEFL Sentence Length Practice”
Pingback: TOEFL Sentence Length Practice
Pingback: TOEFL Sentence Length Practice - E-TEST.ID