Do you want to take a full-length TOEFL practice test? This blog post will explain why you should take a TOEFL practice test. In addition, you will learn how to take a TOEFL practice.
Why you should take a TOEFL practice test
Read over the following answers and choose whether they are true or false.
1. It is not important to know your academic English proficiency level before preparing for the TOEFL exam.
Knowing your academic English proficiency level is crucial when you are getting ready to prepare for the TOEFL exam. For example, if your TOEFL practice test score right now is 80 and your goal is to score 100, it will take you approximately 2-4 months to prepare for the test. Therefore, choosing a 3-Month TOEFL course will fit your situation perfectly. Generally speaking, students can improve their overall TOEFL score 5-10 points for each month that they study. Completing a TOEFL iBT practice test will give you the information that you need to choose the right TOEFL study plan.
2. Your TOEFL speaking and writing practice tests do not need to be graded by a qualified speaking and writing specialist.
If you believe this, I have ocean front property in Arizona that I am ready to sell you. Evaluating academic writing and speaking takes years of practice and at least a Master’s Degree in English, Linguistics, TESL, or some other related field. While listening to your speaking and reading your writing practice tests, a TOEFL specialist will use the TOEFL iBT rubrics to give you your estimated scores. In order to score you accurately, your TOEFL specialists, in the case of your speaking practice tests, will evaluate your delivery, language- use, and topic development areas to see which ETS speaking rubric describe your speaking proficiency. Evaluating your speaking takes years of practice, and many teachers/tutors are not qualified to do that. The TOEFL practice test advertised on this page is graded by qualified TOEFL speaking and writing mentors.
3. TOEFL speaking practice tests are about the same price as the actual TOEFL exam.
Most TOEFL practice tests cost around $25-$50, which is a fraction of the $200 you will pay when taking the official TOEFL exam administered by ETS. Click Here to take an inexpensive full-length TOEFL iBT practice test.
4. Most students can estimate their own speaking and writing level without having to take a TOEFL practice test.
Have you ever wondered why a medical doctor goes to another doctor if s/he has some illness or disease that needs to be diagnosed? Doctors trying to diagnose themselves will run into several obstacles:
- They may not be able to put themselves in the proper context of their own illness.
- These doctors may have certain denials or mental blocks regarding their own illnesses.
- These doctors may try to emphasize the positives toward their own illnesses.
Like doctors, you should not try to diagnose your own speaking and writing problems because you will have a biased-approach in that evaluation. Ask yourself the following questions as they relate to delivery, language-use, and topic development issues that you may have in your speaking.
- How well do you pronounce your vowel and consonant sounds in initial, medial, and final positions in the words that you utter?
- Which vowel sounds are you having more trouble with (i.e., front, mid, or back)?
- How well do you articulate bilabial, interdental, alveolar, palatal, and velar consonants? Are you having any trouble pronouncing voiced or voiceless consonants?
- Do you use appropriate word stress by making the stressed syllable louder, clearer, longer, and high pitched? Do you use appropriate word stress in multi-syllabic words?
- Do you have any problems with syllable division and grammatical word endings?
- How natural does your sentence rhythm and intonation sound to a native speaker?
- Describe your use of pacing and thought groups when you speak English. Are you pausing after approximately 4-5 stress words? At the end of each thought group except the last, do you use a slightly higher inflection?
- Overall, how intelligible do you think you are when speaking to native speakers?
- Do you use a combination of basic and advanced vocabulary and grammar?
- Do you use, for example, a combination of simple, compound, and complex sentences when you speak?
- Have you noticed any problems with any of the following: adjective, noun, and adverb clause formations; parallelism; inconsistencies in point of view and verb tenses; article usage; word choice; mixed constructions; fragments; misplaced modifiers; and word order?
- Do your speaking responses have unity, including using topic sentences and relevant supporting details in each part of your practice tests?
- Do you use a variety of cohesive devices to connect your ideas such as transition words, repetition and rephrasing of key words, determiners and pronouns, and parallelism?
- Are your integrated speaking practice tests complete and accurate?
- Do you embed voice markers into your integrated speaking tasks so that they sound like academic summaries?
Many TOEFL tutors/teachers and virtually all students are not able to accurately diagnose delivery, language use, and topic development problems as they relate to speaking practice tests. In particular, students who try to self-score their speaking, especially those at the intermediate to low-advanced level, are not able to figure out why they cannot pass the speaking section of the TOEFL exam. Sadly, they end of taking the TOEFL over and over, in some cases more than 39 times! And they still do not reach their goals. These students join many others who end up in TOEFL hell.
5. A TOEFL practice test will not help me to find my vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, listening, reading, speaking, and writing weak points.
Completing a full-length TOEFL iBT four hour practice test will help you to see exactly what language-use and TOEFL strategy problems you have. More importantly, after taking a TOEFL practice test, you
- Will get more familiar with the structure and format of the TOEFL exam.
- Can get an overall score and subtotal reading, listening, speaking, and writing scores
- Will learn to concentrate in English for 3-4 hours with few or no breaks, simulating the actual testing conditions
- Will learn your weak points on the four speaking and two writing tasks
- Will be able to choose the appropriate course based on your current academic English proficiency
How you take a TOEFL practice test
Are you ready to once and for all figure out exactly what your current TOEFL level is? Click on the below link to take a full-length four hour TOEFL iBT practice test. Once you take the TOEFL practice test, send me an email with the following information:
I just took a full-length TOEFL iBT practice test. My overall score is_________. Here are my reading, listening, speaking, and writing subtotal scores: R =____ , L =____ , S =____ , and W =______.
However, I need an overall score of________. In addition, my target subtotal scores should be: R =____ , L =____ , S =____ , and W =______.
Can you recommend a TOEFL plan to help me reach my target score?
Buy a full-length TOEFL practice test.
Let me know how you score. As John Lennon once said, “There are no problems, only solutions.” That is exactly how I will view your specific situation. However low or high your score is, I have a solution to help you reach your goals.
Michael Buckhoff, email@example.com
TOEFL Speaking and Writing Feedback Service