One Tool to Help You Write and Speak Well on the TOEFL iBT

Michael Buckhoff’s “7 Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT

Exam!” “Give me a power-packed TOEFL lesson!”

Write sharply-focused thesis statements.
Write sharply-focused thesis statements.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Writing and speaking clearly in new language is never easy. Thus, it will be important for you to stay organized so that your readers and listeners can anticipate your ideas beforehand and, even if you do mispronounce a few words here and there, they will still understand you. One effective tool to help you to improve the organization of your writing and speaking is a thesis statement.

Being able to create an effective thesis statement will be important to you, for you will have to create six thesis statements on the speaking and two thesis statements on the writing sections of the TOEFL iBT. If you know how to carefully and quickly craft a thesis statement, you will dramatically improve your chances of coherently organizing your TOEFL iBT essays and speaking tasks.

Nevertheless, many TOEFL iBT test-takers struggle when it comes to writing effective thesis statements, wreaking havoc on their TOEFL iBT scores. After all, the speech or essay will follow the direction of the thesis, and, if the thesis is not focused, the rest of the essay or speech will be thrown into confusion. Consequently, the TOEFL iBT human raters will throw you to the dogs!

So what do you do? Well, you will need to practice crafting thesis statements based on independent and integrated speaking and writing tasks. Practice makes perfect! Lastly, you will need to understand the characteristics of thesis statements:

1. Thesis statements need to be sharply-focused.

2. Thesis statements should not be factual.

3. Thesis statements should not be ambiguous.

4. Thesis statements should be arguable.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

For more information, go here:

Michael Buckhoff’s “7 Step System to Pass the TOEFL iBT

Exam!” “I want my lesson now!”

Watch Video: Learn about S.T.E.A.L.T.H.

Why should I make a donation?

6 thoughts on “One Tool to Help You Write and Speak Well on the TOEFL iBT”

  1. Pingback: TOEFL iBT Listening: Turn the Caption Off! - Better TOEFL Scores Blog

  2. You can improve your reading in five steps, but your reading score is very low. Therefore, you will need to focus more on steps 1-3:
    1. Begin reading magazines, newspapers, and books for 45 mins daily. Take notes as you read, and use your notes to give 3-5 60 second oral summaries and 3-5 150 word summaries weekly. Speaking and writing about what you read will turn you into an active reader and will help you to practice your language use.
    2. Improve your vocabulary so that you have a base of about 2000 college-level words. You can get a great list + plus audio, listening, reading, matching, grammar, and quizzes to help you if you join my Online TOEFL Course. Follow the link to see some suggestions on what you need to do to effective learn vocabulary:
    3. Increase your reading speed to 300+ words per minute with 60-80 comprehension. You can achieve this result by completing the lessons in the reading section of my Online TOEFL Course.
    4. Become familiar with the reading question types and the strategies for answering them.
    5. Complete TOEFL level reading practice tests and make sure you spend time reviewing the questions you are getting correct.
    Spend 80% of your reading practice focusing on steps 1-3 and the other 20% on steps 4-5. To get long-term results that will improve your TOEFL reading score significantly, you will need to spend 1-2 hours daily for at least 3 months following these steps.
    Good luck!

  3. Dear Mr.Micheal,
    Today I got my TOEFL IBT Exam
    total – 60
    Reading just 3
    Listening 21
    Speaking 19
    Writing 17
    May I Kindly ask how to improve my Reading section.
    Already, I have plan to read more academic books before my next exam.
    Thanking you

  4. Pingback: TOEFL iBT Speaking: Technology and Multi-Tasking :Better TOEFL® Scores

  5. Pingback: Better TOEFL® Scores » Blog Archive » TOEFL iBT Independent Speaking Task One: Objects and Events

  6. Pingback: Better TOEFL® Scores » Blog Archive » TOEFL iBT Writing: How to Improve Your Writing Skills for the TOEFL iBT

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.