Use TOEFL Writing Details in your body paragraphs for the independent writing task.
Why Should You Use TOEFL Details?
A quick glimpse at ETS’s TOEFL Writing Rubrics reveals that an essay that scores 5.0 should use “clearly appropriate explanations, exemplifications, and/or details.
Therefore, using TOEFL writing details increases your chances of getting a high score in the writing section.
What is an explanation?
An explanation is a statement that you can use to clarify something that you have said so that it is more understandable.
Example statement + explanation: Workers who are successful must show determination. In other words, if an employee gets tasked to complete a proposal, she will stay focused on that task until it is completed.
In this case, I argue that workers need to have determination, and then I offer an explanation to make my assertion more understandable.
What does exemplification mean?
Exemplification means to provide examples as supporting material to explain or clarify a generalization. In this regard, you provide enough details and examples to make your argument clear to your audience.
Example statement + explanation + exemplification: Workers who are successful must show determination. In other words, if an employee gets tasked to complete a proposal, she will stay focused on that task until it is completed. To illustrate, my sister was put in charge of making a team presentation to a pharmaceutical company in Denmark, and she was given three weeks for her and her team to create, rehearse, and deliver this important marketing presentation to the Danish company. In the first week, my sister delegated assignments for her five team members, and during the second week, she asked two of her team members to complete some marketing research. Finally, in the third week, she and her teammates practiced delivering the presentation, and on Thursday of that week, they traveled to Denmark and delivered a knockout presentation to the Danish company which was so impressed with her team that they worked out a business deal on the spot. Because of my sister’s resolute determination with her work assignment, she has bad resounding success with her company.
What is a TOEFL writing detail?
Part of what comprises exemplification is TOEFL Writing Details which is
- A particular type of information such as description, illustration, and statistical data
- Specific information relating to the topic of the paragraph
- Information which relates to the thesis/purpose of the overall essay
Concrete and abstract details are two ways of supporting your general statements:
For example, my last roommate once left a Coca-Cola can on the coffee table in our living room, and after a few days the soda can attracted thousands and maybe even millions of ants. Our insect infestations became so severe that the ants even got into two boxes of cereal, one bag of sugar, and three pounds of rice. Because of my dirty roommate, my living conditions became unsanitary.
Abstract/generic detail: Some roommates may not pick up after themselves by leaving their stuff in the common living spaces of our apartment. In fact, this clutter can result in unclean conditions not only for him but also for others living under the same household.
In choosing between the two types of detail information, use concrete details which have several benefits:
- Gives readers a clear understanding of what you are writing about
- Provides precise details and specific identifying information.
- Avoids vague, unclear, or uninteresting writing.
TOEFL Writing Details Practice
In each exercise, you will read an assertion. Then, write a 100+ word concrete detail to defend that assertion. Click on the “Show More” icon to see a possible answer with a suggested concrete detail. TOEFL Writing Details
1. Workers who change jobs frequently will get promoted more, thereby helping them to earn more money to support their standard of living.
Example Concrete Detail 1
2. Drivers who throw trash out their windows should be fined at least $1000 so that they and other drivers will pollute less.
Example Concrete Detail 2
3. Indeed, children should have a limited screen time of only two hours per day so that they can concentrate on their homework more.
Example Concrete Detail 3
4. People who are good listeners make really good friends, which is why I consider this trait as an important quality in a friend.
Example Concrete Detail 4
5. Being direct is more important than being indirect so I do not mislead the person to whom I am speaking.
Example Concrete Detail 5
6. College students should be allowed to bring cell phones into class because of their educational value.
Example Concrete Detail 6
7. Running is a lot less expensive than bicycling, so I prefer it as an effective form of cardiovascular exercise.
Example Concrete Detail 7
8. Essay exams allow me to get a deep understanding of course materials, so this method of evaluation is more effective than taking multiple-choice exams.
Example Concrete Detail 8
9. Children who are given an allowance for doing chores will learn finance management, an important skill for these youngsters that they will need in the future.
Example Concrete Detail 9
TOEFL Writing Details
10. If I choose a less-expensive university, I will have a lot less debt after I graduate, hence allowing me to contribute to my country’s economy much faster.
Example Concrete Detail 10
TOEFL Writing Details