The TOEFL reading paraphrase question is one of several different types. This blog post will help you to understand more about how to prepare for this type of question.
Table of Contents
TOEFL Reading Paraphrase Question: Improving your reading proficiency
To get ready for this and other types of reading questions, you will need to spend at least 2.5 months following these five steps:
- Read magazines, books, and newspapers for about 45 minutes every day.
- Learn these 1700 TOEFL vocabulary words: http://www.michaelbuckhoff.com/vocabulary/1700words.pdf
- Improve your reading speed to 300 words per minute: Check your reading speed right now!
- Learn the reading question types and the strategies for answering them. Get your reading strategies for free !
- Take TOEFL-level reading practice tests to monitor your progress.
Spend about 80% of your reading practice completing steps 1-3 and the other 20% completing steps 4-5. Reading extensively, building your vocabulary, and increasing your reading speed will help you to improve. Steps 4-5 will help you to become more familiar with the TOEFL reading section and to monitor your progress.
TOEFL Reading Paraphrase Question: Seeing a Sample Question
This question asks about the meaning of a complicated sentence. To answer this question, you need to break the sentence into parts. Part of the sentence says that “Mercury is not nearly as dense as the core ratio of Earth.”, which means that Earth’s density is greater than that of Mercury’s. The next part of the sentence explains “due to its closeness to the Sun,” which means that Mercury is closer to the Sun than Earth. Therefore, you should choose answer choice C.
TOEFL Reading Paraphrase Question: Learning Strategies
It is easy to identify this question. The reading passage will state, “Which of the sentences best expresses the essential information…?”
To find the answer to this question, the information will be in the highlighted sentence. In addition, you should also pay attention to the context around the highlighted sentence.
To answer this question, you should follow the five steps:
- Read the highlighted sentence carefully.
- Break the sentence into meaningful parts. Pay close attention to punctuation and to connective words that will help you understand the relationship of ideas.
- It is possible that the highlighted sentence references information outside of the sentence. In that case, read the context outside of the sentence.
- Read the answer choice carefully. Eliminate answers that change the meaning, leave out important information, or falsify information from the highlighted sentence.
- Choose the correct answer from the remaining choices
TOEFL Reading Paraphrase Question: Getting Essential Practice
Below are ten questions so that you can practice simplifying the meaning of complex sentences. Click on “Answer” to see which answer best paraphrases the highlighted part in the paragraph. If you can answer 8/10 questions correctly or more, then you are ready to take the TOEFL exam. If you have 7 or fewer correct answers, you should begin a TOEFL preparation program to boost your academic English proficiency. Check a course plan that best fits your situation: Find a TOEFL course now!
Time Limit: 10 minutes to answer 9 questions
TOEFL Reading Paraphrase Question: Thinking about how your performed
Considering joining an Online TOEFL Course if any of the following apply:
- It took you much longer than 10 minutes to answer the questions.
- You answered 7 questions correctly or fewer.
- You had a lot of problems concentrating in English as you read the passages.
Remember that the actual TOEFL exam will be much harder than this practice test for the TOEFL paraphrase reading question types. If you take the TOEFL before you are ready, you might go end up in a very dark place in which 1000’s of other students have gone: TOEFL Hell.
There are specific courses that can ready you for the TOEFL exam. These inexpensive self-study courses will help you reach your goal, and you will not have to drain your wallet after you join. All these courses allow you to complete speaking, pronunciation, and writing practice tests. Your TOEFL accent reduction, speaking, and writing specialists will provide audio and written feedback after every practice test you submit. In fact, you can complete these practice tests and get feedback every single day while you are enrolled in any of these courses.
Good luck to you!
Michael Buckhoff, http://onlinetoeflcourse.com